1. “NEU1 and NEU3 enzymes alter CD22 organization on B cells,” Tran H-TT; Li C; Chakraberty R; Cairo CW*, bioRxiv [ OA link ]
2. “Limited hydrolysis of polysialic acid by human neuraminidase enzymes,” Hunter CD and Cairo CW*, chemRxiv [ OA link ]
3. “The Janus-like role of neuraminidase isoenzymes in inflammation,” Howlader MA; Demina EP; Samarani S; Guo T; Ahmad A; Psheshetsky AV*; Cairo CW*, bioRxiv [ OA Link ]
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
[Note: Links for Open Access versions are given as “OA link”]
58. “Characterization of ABH-subtype donor-specific antibodies in ABO-A-incompatible kidney transplantation,” Bentall AJ; Mylvaganam J; Braitch M; Cairo CW; Lowary TL; Maier S; Motyka B; Zou L; West LJ*; Ball S*, Am J Trans, 2021, 00:1-14. [epub Jun 8, 2021; OA Link]
57. “Neuraminidases 1 and 3 trigger atherosclerosis by desialylating low-density lipoproteins and increasing their uptake by macrophages,” Demina EP; Smutova V; Pan X; Fougerat A; Guo T; Zou C; Chakraberty R; Snarr BD; Shiao TC; Roy R; Orekhov AN; Miyagi T; Laffargue M; Sheppard DC; Cairo CW*; Pshezhetsky AV*, J Amer Heart Assoc, 2021, 10(4), e018756 . [epub Feb 6, 2021; OA Link ]
56. “Therapeutic effect of Neuraminidase-1 selective inhibition in mouse models of bleomycin-induced pulmonary inflammation and fibrosis,” Luzina I*; Lillehoj EP; Lockatell VK; Hyun SW; Lugkey KN; Imamura A; Ishida H; Cairo CW; Atamas SP; Goldblum SE, J Pharm & Exp Ther, 2021, 376:136-146. [epub Nov 2, 2020; DOI]
55. “Human neuraminidases have reduced activity towards modified sialic acids on glycoproteins,” Hunter CD; Porter EM; Cairo CW*, Carbohydrate Research, 2020, 497, 108139. [epub Aug 28, 2020; DOI ; OA link ]
54. “Isoenzyme-Selective Inhibitors of Human Neuraminidases Reveal Distinct Effects on Cell Migration,” Howlader Md. A; Guo T; Chakraberty R; Cairo CW*, ACS Chemical Biology, 2020, 15(6), 1328-1339. [epub Apr 20, 2020; DOI; OA link]
53. “Neuraminidase-3 is a negative regulator of LFA-1 adhesion,” Howlader Md.A; Li C; Zou C; Chakraberty R; Ebesoh N; Cairo CW*, Frontiers in Chemistry, 2019, 7, 791. [epub Nov 22 2019; OA link]
52.”NIST Interlaboratory Study on Glycosylation Analysis of Monoclonal Antibodies: Comparison of Results from Diverse Analytical Methods,” De Leoz MLA, et al. [incl. Zou C; Cairo CW; Reiz B; Whittal RM], Mol Cell Proteomics, 2020, 19, 11-30. [epub Oct 7, 2019; OA link]
51. “A quantitative, high-throughput method identifies protein-glycan interactions via mass spectrometry,” Kitov PI; Kitova EN; Han L; Li Z; Jung J; Rodrigues E; Hunter CD; Cairo CW; Macauley M; Klassen JS*, Communications Biology, 2019, 2, 268. [epub Jul 22, 2019; OA Link].
50. “Crystal structures of human lysosomal EPDR1 reveal homology with the superfamily of bacterial lipoprotein transporters,” Wei Y; Xiong J; Li J; Zou C; Cairo CW; Klassen JS; Prive GG*, Communications Biology, 2019, 2, 52.[epub Feb 5, 2019; OA link]
49. “Persistent reduction in sialylation of cerebral glycoproteins following postnatal inflammatory exposure,” Demina EP; Pierre WC; Nguyen ALA; Londono I; Reiz B; Zou C; Chakraberty R, Cairo CW, Pshezhetsky AV*; Lodygensky GA*, Journal of Neuroinflammation, 2018, 15, 336. [epub Dec 5 2018; OA link]
48. “Selective inhibitors of human neuraminidase 1 (NEU1),” Guo T; Heon-Roberts R; Zou C; Zheng RB; Pshezhetsky AV; Cairo CW*, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2018, 61(24), 11261-11279. [epub Nov 20, 2018; DOI; OA link]
47. “A tyrosine sulfation–dependent HLA-I modification identifies memory B cells and plasma cells,” Chan JTH; Liu Y; Khan S; St-Germain JR; Zou C; Leung LYT; Yang J; Shi M; Grunebaum E; Campisi P; Propst EJ; Holler T; Bar-Or A; Wither JE; Cairo CW; Moran MF; Palazzo AF; Cooper MD; Ehrhardt GRA*, Science Advances, 2018, 4(11), eaar7653. [epub Nov 7, 2018; DOI; OA Link]
46. “Selection of galectin‐3 ligands derived from genetically encoded glycopeptide libraries,” Ferrer Vinals D; Kitov PI; Tu Z; Zou C; Cairo CW; Lin HCH; Derda R*, Peptide Science, 2018:e24097. [epub Sep 14, 2018; DOI]
45. “Molecular dynamics simulations of viral neuraminidase inhibitors with the human neuraminidase enzymes: Insights into isoenzyme selectivity,” Richards MR; Guo T; Hunter CD; Cairo CW*, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2018, 26, 5349-5358. [epub May 23, 2018; DOI; OA link]
44. “Neuraminidase 1 activates insulin receptor and reverses insulin resistance in obese mice,” Fougerat A; Pan X; Smutova V; Heveker N; Cairo CW; Issad T; Larrivée B; Medin JA; Pshezhetsky AV*, Molecular Metabolism, 2018, 12, 76-88. [epub Apr 21, 2018 ; DOI; OA link]
43. “Selective inhibitors of human neuraminidase-3,” Guo T; Datwyler P; Demina E; Richards MR; Ge P; Zou C; Zheng R; Fougerat A; Pshezhetsky AV; Ernst B; Cairo CW*, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2018, 61(5), 1990. [epub Feb 9, 2018; DOI; OA link]
42. “Human neuraminidase isoenzymes show variable activities for 9-O-acetyl-sialoside substrates,” Hunter CD; Khanna N; Richards MR; Darestani RR; Zou C; Klassen JS; Cairo CW*, ACS Chemical Biology, 2018, 13(4), 922. [epub Jan 17, 2018; DOI; OA link]
41. “Construction of multivalent homo- and hetero-functional ABO blood group glycoconjufates using a trifunctional linker strategy,” Daskhan G; Tran HT; Meloncelli P; Lowary TL; West LJ; Cairo CW*, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2018, 29(2), 343. [accepted Dec 13, 2017; DOI; OA link]
40. “Galectin-3 alters the lateral mobiliy and clustering of b1-integrin receptors,” Yang, EH; Rode, J; Howlader, Md A; Eckerman, M; Santos, JT; Hernandez Armada, D; Zheng, R; Zou, C; Cairo, CW*, PLoS ONE, 12(10), e0184378. [epub Oct 10, 2017; OA link]
39. “Integrin-mediated cell migration is blocked by inhibitors of human neuraminidase,” Jia, F.; Howlader, M.A.; Cairo, C.W.*, BBA – Molecular and Cellular Biology of Lipids, 2016, 1861(9), 1170-1179. [epub Jun 22, 2016; DOI; OA link]
38. “Screening glycolipids against proteins in vitro using picodiscs and catch-and-release electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry,” Li, J; Fan, X; Kitova, EN; Zou, C; Cairo, CW; Euginia, L; Ng, KKS; Xiong, ZJ; Prive, GG; Klassen, JS*, Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 88(9), 4742-4750. [epub Apr 6, 2016; DOI].
37. “Conjugation of ABO-Antigens to Silica Microparticles for detection of Blood group-specific B cells,” Slaney, A.; Dijke, E.; Jeyakanthan, M.; Li, C.; Zou, L.; Plaza-Alexander, P.; Meloncelli, P.J.; Bau, J.A.; Lowary, T.L.; West, L.J.; Cairo, C.W.; Buriak, J.*, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2016, 27(3), 705-715. [epub Jan 27, 2016; DOI].
36. “ABH-Glycan Microarray Characterizes ABO Subtype Antibodies: Fine Specificity of Immune Tolerance After ABO-Incompatible Transplantation,” Jeyakanthan, M; Meloncelli, PJ; Zou, L; Lowary, TL*; Larsen, I; Tollenaar, S; Fernandez, M; Tao, K; Rusch, J; Chinnock, R; Shaw, N; Burch, M; Beddows, K; Addonizio, L; Zuckerman, W; Pahl, E; Rutledge, J; Kanter, KR; Cairo, CW; Buriak, JM; Ross, D; Rebeyka, I; West LJ*, American Journal of Transplantation, 2016, 16(5), 1548-1558. [epub Nov 25, 2015; OA Link]
35. “Sialidase discrimination against diazirine-modified sugars enables enhanced crosslinking of sialylated glycoproteins,” McCoombs, J.E.; Zou, C.; Parker, R.B.; Cairo, C.W.; Kohler, J.J.*, ACS Chemical Biology, 2016, 11(1), 185-192. [epub Nov 5, 2015; DOI; OA link]
34. “Detection of diffusion heterogeneity in single particle tracking trajectories using a hidden Markov model with measurement noise propagation,” Slator, P.J.; Cairo, C.W.; Burrough, N.J.*, PLoS ONE, 2015, 10(10):e0140759. [epub Oct 16, 2015; OA link]
33. “Protecting group-free immobilization of glycans for affinity chromatography using glycosylsulfonohydrazide donors,” Hernandez Armada, D.; Santos, J.T.; Richards, M.R.; Cairo, C.W.*, Carbohydrate Research, 2015, 417, 109-116. [epub Sep 16, 2015; DOI; OA link]
32. “Picodiscs for facile protein-glycolipid interaction analysis,” Leney, A.C.; Darestani, R.R.; Li, J.; Nikjah, S.; Kitova, E.N.; Zou, C.; Cairo, C.W.; Xiong, Z.J.; Prive, G.G.; Klassen, J.S.*, Analytical Chemistry, 2015, 87(8), 4402-4408. [epub Mar 24, 2015; DOI; OA link]
31. “A FRET Probe for Cell-Based Imaging of Gangliosiode-Processing Enzyme Activity and High-Throughput Screening,” Yang, G.-Y.; Li, C.; Fischer, M.; Cairo, C.W.; Feng, Y.; Withers, S.G.*, Angew. Chem., 2015, 54(18), 5389-5393. [epub Mar 10, 2015; DOI] [Editor selected “Hot Paper”]
30. “Mapping substrate interactions of the human membrane-associated neuraminidase, NEU3, using STD NMR,” Albohy, A.; Richards, M.R.; Cairo, C.W.*, Glycobiology, 2015, 25(3), 284-293. [epub Oct 6, 2014; OA Link]
29. “Structural basis for substrate specificity of mammalian neuraminidases,” Smutova, V.; Albohy, A.; Xuefang, P.; Korchaqina, E.; Miyagi, T.; Bovin, N.; Cairo, C.W.; Pshezhetsky, A.*, PLoS ONE, 2014, 9(9), e106320 [epub Sep 15, 2014; OA Link]
28. “Sialidase NEU4 is involved in glioblastoma stem cell survival,” Silvestri, I.; Testa, F.; Zappasodi, R.; Cairo, C.W.; Zhang, Y.; Lupo, B.; Galli, R.; Di Nicola, M.; Venerando, B.V.; Tringali, C.*, Cell Death & Disease, 2014, 5, e1381 [epub Aug 22, 2014; OA link] [highlighted in Express News, CTV Edmonton, and the Edmonton Journal]
27. “Conformational analysis of peramivir reveals critical differences between free and enzyme-bound states,” M.R. Richards, M.G. Brant, M. Boulanger, C.W. Cairo, and J.W. Wulff*, MedChemComm, 2014, 5. 1483-1488. [epub Jun 19, 2014; OA link; Inside front cover]
26. “Practical labeling methodology for choline-derived lipids and applications in live cell fluorescence imaging,” C. Li, J.A. Key, F. Jia, A. Dandapat, S. Hur, and C.W. Cairo*, Photochemistry & Photobiology, 2014, 90(3), 686-695. [epub Jan 3, 2014; DOI] [Journal Cover and Featured on journal webpage]
25. “Mycobacterial phenolic glycolipids with a simplified lipid aglycone modulate cytokine levels through Toll-like receptor 2,” H.R.H. Elsaidi, D.R. Barreda, C.W. Cairo, and T.L. Lowary*, ChemBioChem, 2013, 14(16), 2153-2159. [epub Oct 2, 2013; DOI]
24. “alpha-Bromophosphonate analogs of glucose-6-phosphate are inhibitors of glucose-6-phosphatase,” A. M. Downey and C.W. Cairo* , Carbohydrate Research, 2013, 381, 123-132. [epub Aug 10, 2013; OA link]
23. “Interlaboratory study on differential analysis of protein glycosylation by mass spectrometry: the ABRF Glycoprotein Research Multi-institutional Study” N. Leymarie, et al. (67 authors incl. UofA contributors: C.W. Cairo , R. Daneshfar, B. Reiz, R. Whittal, and C. Zou), Molecular & Cellular Proteomics, 2012, 12, 2935-2951. [epub June 13, 2013; DOI; OA link]
21. “Identification of Selective Nanomolar Inhibitors of the Human Neuraminidase, NEU4,” A. Albohy, Y. Zhang, V. Smutova, A.V. Pshezhetsky, and C.W. Cairo*, ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2013, 4(6), 532-537. [epub May 7, 2013; DOI; OA link] [highlighted by the Faculty of Science]
20. “Positive Regulation of Insulin Signaling by Neuraminidase 1,” L. Dridi, V. Seyrantepe, A. Fougerat, X. Pan, E. Bonneil, P. Thibault, A. Moreau, G.A. Mitchell, N. Heveker, C.W. Cairo, T. Issad, A. Hinek, and A.V. Pshezhetsky*, Diabetes, 2013, 62(7), 2338-2346. [epub Mar 21, 2013; DOI; OA link]
19. “Identification of selective inhibitors of human sialidase isoenzymes using C4, C7-modified-2-deoxy-2,3-didehydro-N-acetylneruaminic acid (DANA) analogs,” Y. Zhang, A. Albohy, V. Smutova, A.V. Pshezhetsky, and C.W. Cairo*, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 56(7), 2948-2958 [epub Mar 26, 2013; DOI]
18. “Protein-glycosphingolipid interactions revealed using catch-and-release mass spectrometry,” Y. Zhang, L. Liu, R. Daneshfar, E.N. Kitova, C. Li, F. Jia, C.W. Cairo, and J.S. Klassen*, Analytical Chemistry, 2012, 84(18), 7618-7621. [epub Aug 24, 2012; DOI]
17. “Detection of cellular sialic acid content using nitrobenzoxadiazole carbonyl-reactive chromophores,” J.A. Key, C. Li, and C.W. Cairo*, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2012, 23(3), 363-371. [epub Jan 30, 2012; DOI]
16. “Substituted benzoxadiazoles as fluorogenic probes: A computational study of absorption and fluorescence,” A. Brown*, T.Y. Ngai, M. Barnes, J.A. Key, and C.W. Cairo, Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2012, 116(1), 46-54. [epub Dec 2, 2011; DOI]
15. “Substrate recognition of the membrane-associated sialidase NEU3 requires a hydrophobic aglycone,” M. Sandbhor, N. Soya, A. Albohy, R.B. Zheng, J. Cartmell, D.R. Bundle, J.S. Klassen, and C.W. Cairo*, Biochemistry, 2011, 50(32), 6753-6762. [epub Jun 15, 2011; DOI]
14. “Selectivity of a new class of oseltamivir analogs for viral neuraminidase over human neuraminidase enzymes,” A. Albohy, S. Mohan, R.B. Zheng, B.M. Pinto, and C.W. Cairo*, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 2011, 19(9), 2817-2822. [accepted Mar 18, 2011; epub Mar 23, 2011; DOI].
13. “Analysis of molecular diffusion by first-passage time variance identifies the size of confinement zones,” V. Rajani, G. Carrero, D.E. Golan, G. de Vries*, and C.W. Cairo*, Biophysical Journal, 2011, 100(6), 1463-1472. [accepted Jan 28, 2011; epub Mar 17, 2011; DOI; OA link].
12. “Inhibition of human neuraminidase 3 (NEU3) by C9-triazole derivatives of 2,3-didehydro-N-acetylneuraminic acid,” Y. Zou, A. Albohy, M. Sandbhor, and C.W. Cairo*, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2010, 20(24), 7529-7533. [accepted Sep 22, 2010; epub Sep 29, 2010; DOI]
11. “A protected L-bromophosphonomethylphenylalanine amino acid derivative (BrPmp) for synthesis of irreversible protein tyrosine phosphatase inhibitors,” N.S. Tulsi, A.M. Downey, and C.W. Cairo*, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 2010, 18(24), 8679-8686. [accepted Sep 15, 2010; epub: Sep 29, 2010; DOI]
10. “Immobilization of carbohydrate epitopes for surface plasmon resonance using the Staudinger Ligation,” R.S. Loka and C.W. Cairo*, Carbohydrate Research, 2010, 345(18), 2641-2647. [accepted Sep 15, 2010; epub: Sep 21, 2010; DOI]
9. “Conjugation of synthetic N-acetyl-lactosamine to azide-containing proteins using the Staudinger Ligation,” R.S. Loka, C.M. Sadek, N.A. Romaniuk, and C.W. Cairo*, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2010, 21(10), 1842-1849. [accepted Aug 30, 2010; epub: Sep 15, 2010; DOI ]
8. “A monomeric photoconvertible fluorescent protein for imaging of dynamic protein localization,” H. Hoi, N.C. Schaner, M.W. Davidson, C.W. Cairo, J. Wang, and R.E. Campbell*, Journal of Molecular Biology, 2010, 401(5), 776-791. [accepted Jun 25, 2010; epub: Jul 5, 2010; DOI]
7. “Insight into substrate recognition and catalysis by the human neuraminidase 3 (NEU3) through molecular modeling and site directed mutagenesis,” A. Albohy, M.D. Li, R.B. Zheng, C. Zou, and C.W. Cairo*, Glycobiology, 2010, 20(9), 1127-1138. [accepted May 17, 2010; epub: May 28, 2010; DOI]
6. “Identification of fluorogenic and quenched benzoxadiazole reactive chromophores,” J.A. Key and C.W. Cairo*, Dyes & Pigments, 2011, 88(1), 95-102. [accepted May 13, 2010; epub: Jun 18, 2010; DOI]
5. “A fluorogenic SNAr reaction for demonstrating normal-phase chromatography and isolation of nitrobenzoxadiazole chromophores,” J.A. Key, M.D. Li, and C.W. Cairo*,Journal of Chemical Education, 2011, 88(1), 98-100. [accepted May 4, 2010; epub: Oct 14, 2010; DOI]
4. “Dynamic regulation of CD45 lateral mobility by the spectrin-ankyrin cytoskeleton of T cells,” C.W. Cairo*, R. Das., A. Albohy, Q.J. Baca, D. Pradhan, J.S. Morrow, D. Coombs, and D.E. Golan, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2010, 285(15), 11392-11401. [epub Feb 17, 2010; DOI; OA link] Also see our highlight on EurekAlert!
3. “A modular synthesis of alkynyl-phosphocholine headgroups for labeling of sphingomyelin and phosphatidyl choline,” M.S. Sandbhor, J.A. Key, I.S. Strelkov, and C.W. Cairo*, Journal of Organic Chemsitry, 2009, 74(22), 8669-8674. [epub: Oct 27, 2009; DOI]
2. “A hidden Markov model for single particle tracks quantifies dynamic interactions between LFA-1 and the actin cytoskeleton”, R. Das*, C.W. Cairo, and D. Coombs, PLoS Computational Biology, 2009, 5(11): e1000556. [epub: Nov 6, 2009; OA link]
1. “Photophysical characterization of triazole substituted coumarin fluorophores”, J.A. Key, S. Koh, Q. Timerghazin, A. Brown and C.W. Cairo*, Dyes & Pigments, 2009, 82, 196-203. [epub: Jan 3, 2009; DOI] [A top 25 hottest article for July-Sep 2009, and April-June 2009]
REVIEWS & BOOK CHAPTERS
7. “Synthetic strategies for modified glycosphingolipids and their design as probes,” Hunter, CD; Guo, T; Daskhan, G; Richards, MR; Cairo, CW*, Chemical Reviews, 118(17), 8188-8241. [epub Jul 6, 2018; DOI; OA link]
6. “New answers to old conundrums: what antibodies, exosomes, and inflammasomes bring to the conversation. Canadian National Transplant Research Program international summit report,” Dieude, M; West, LJ; Muruve, DA; Gunaratman, L; Mohankumar, T; Zorn, E; Cairo, CW; Freed, DH; Schultz, K; Fairchild, RL; Hebert, M-J, Transplantation, 2018, 102, 209-214. [epub Jul 21, 2017; DOI; OA link]
3. “Fluorescent small-molecule probes of biochemistry at the plasma membrane,” C.W. Cairo*, J.A. Key, and C.M. Sadek, Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, 2010, 14(1), 57-63. [epub: Nov 4, 2009; DOI] [A top 25 hottest article for Jan-Mar 2010]
OTHER REFEREED PUBLICATIONS
1. “7,7′-(3,3′-Dibenzyl-3H,3’H-4,4′-bi-1,2,3-triazole-5,5′-diyl)bis(4-methyl-2H-chromen-2-one)”, J.A. Key, C.W. Cairo and M.F. Ferguson*, Acta Cryst. 2008, E64, o1910. [epub Sept 13, 2008; PDF; OA link]
5. Goldblum SE; Atamas SP; Luzina IG; Cairo CW; “TREATMENT OF PULMONARY FIBROSIS USING INHIBITORS OF NEU1 SIALIDASE,” WIPO, University of Maryland, Baltimore, WO/2021/007329 [Link].
4. Pshezhetsky AV; Cairo CW; Guo T; Demina E; Howlader Md A; “Methods of modulating leukocytes activation and thrombocyte clearance with inhibitors of specific neuraminidase isoenzymes,” WIPO, The Governors of the University of Alberta, WO/2020/107124 [Link].
3. Cairo CW; Pshezhetsky AV; Guo T, “Methods of preventing or treating atherosclerosis with inhibitors of specific isoenzymes of human neuraminidase.” WIPO, The Governors of the University of Alberta, Valorisation HSJ, Ltd, WO/2018/213933 [Link], AU2018273411, EP3630740, US20200239512, CA3064774.
2. Lowary TL; Cairo CW; West LJ; Buriak JM; Meloncelli PJ; Jeyakanthan M; Slaney AM, “Method and system for ABO compatible blood type matching,” W.I.P.O., The Governors of the University of Alberta, WO/2013/029181 [Link], CA2846666, EP2751574, AU2012304181, JP2014525570, AU2017201012, JP2017156359.
1. Cairo CW; Tulsi NS; Downey AM, “Methods and systems for preparing irreversible inhibitors of protein tyrosine phsophatases,” W.I.P.O., The Governors of the University of Alberta , WO/2011/106898 [Link], US20130165333, CA2791535.
Graduate and Postdoctoral Work – PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- “Analysis of a Two-Dimensional Dissociation Constant for Laterally Mobile Cell-Cell Adhesion Molecules within a Contact Area”, D.M. Zhu, M.L. Dustin, C.W. Cairo, D.E. Golan*, 2007, Biophys. J., 92, 1022-1034. [PDF]
- “Mechanisms of Cellular Avidity Regulation in CD2/CD58 Mediated Adhesion of T Cells”, D.M. Zhu, M.L. Dustin, C.W. Cairo, H. Thatte, D.E. Golan*, 2006, ACS-Chemical Biology, 1, 649-658. [PDF] [Supporting]
- “Cytoskeletal Regulation Couples LFA-1 Conformational Changes to Receptor Lateral Mobility and Clustering”, C.W. Cairo, R. Mirchev, D.E. Golan*, 2006, Immunity, 25, 297-308. [PDF] [Supporting 1] [Supporting 2] [Supporting 3]
- “Visualization and Characterization of Receptor Clusters by Transmission Electron Microscopy”, J.E. Gestwicki, C.W. Cairo, M.J. Borrok, L.L. Kiessling*, 2003, Methods in Enzymology, 362, 301-312. [PDF]
- “Influencing Receptor-Ligand Binding Mechanisms with Multivalent Architecture”, J.E. Gestwicki, C.W. Cairo, L.E. Strong, K.A. Oetjen, and L.L. Kiessling*, 2002, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 124, 14922. [PDF] [Supporting]
- “Control of Multivalent Interactions by Binding Epitope Density”, C.W. Cairo, J.E. Gestwicki, M. Kanai, and L.L. Kiessling*, 2002, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 124, 1615-1619. [PDF] [Supporting]
- “Selective Immobilization of Multivalent Ligands for Surface Plasmon Resonance and Fluorescence Microscopy”, J.E. Gestwicki, C.W. Cairo, D.A. Mann, R.M. Owen, L.L. Kiessling*, 2002, Anal. Biochem., 305, 149-155. [PDF]
- “Affinity-Based Inhibition of b-Amyloid Toxicity”, C.W. Cairo, A. Strzelec, R.M. Murphy, L.L. Kiessling*, 2002, Biochemistry, 41, 8620-8629. [PDF]
- “Cell Aggregation By Scaffolded Receptor Clusters”, J.E. Gestwicki, L.E. Strong, C.W. Cairo, F.J. Boehm, L.L. Kiessling*, 2001, Chem. Biol., 9, 163-169. [Journal Cover] [PDF]
- “Designed Potent Multivalent Chemoattractants for Escherichia coli”, J.E. Gestwicki, L.E. Strong, S.L. Borchardt, C.W. Cairo, A.M. Schnoes, L.L. Kiessling*, 2001, Biorg. Med. Chem., 9, 2387-2393. [PDF]
GRADUATE STUDENT ADVISEE THESES
16. Hunter, Carmanah D, Ph.D., “Influence of diversity in sialic acid presentation on human neuraminidase enzyme activity,” 250 pages, 2020, University of Alberta.
15. Howlader, Md. Amran, Ph.D., “Modulation of leukocyte adhesion and cell migration by human neuraminidase enzymes,” 240 pages, 2019, University of Alberta.
14. Chakraberty, Radhika, M.Sc., “Glycosphingolipid profiling in cells and tissues using fluorescent LC/MS,” 307 pags, 2018, University of Alberta. [OA link]
13. Hernandez Armada, D., M.Sc., “Immobilization of oligosaccharides in affinity chromatography and applications to screening human milk oligosaccharide receptors,” 246 pgs, 2015, University of Alberta. [OA link]
12. Dandapat, A., MSc., “Bifunctional reagents for oxime ligation,” 155 pgs, 2014, University of Alberta. [OA link]
11. Khanna, N., MSc., “Substrates of the human neuraminidase and sialic acid esterase enzymes,” 150 pgs, 2014, University of Alberta. [OA link]
10. Albohy, A., Ph.D., “Structure-based design of inhibitors for the human neuraminidase enzymes NEU2, NEU3, and NEU4,” 302 pgs, 2014, University of Alberta. [OA link]
9. Jia, F., M.Sc., “The human neuraminidase enzyme, NEU3, regulates integrin-mediated cell migration via changes in glycolipic composition,” 159 pgs, 2013, Univeristy of Alberta. [OA link]
8. Downey, A. M., M.Sc., “Design and synthesis of alpha-bromo phosphonates as analogs of glucose-6-phosphate”, 274 pgs, 2012, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
7. Zou, Y., M.Sc., “Design and synthesis of inhibitors for the human neuraminidase 3 enzyme”, 235 pgs, 2011, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
6. Loka, R.S., Ph.D., “Exploration of carbohydrate epitopes in their native habitat with the Staudinger ligation”, 327 pgs, 2011, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
5. Key, J.A., Ph.D., “Fluorogenic and fluorescent bioorthogonal lablling strategies for examining glycoproteins and phospholipids”, 437 pgs, 2011, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
4. Sadek, C.M., M.Sc., “Exploring the role of sialic acid in the glycoprotein LFA-1 using bioconjugate chemistry”, 127 pgs, 2011, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
3. Ebesoh, N.G., M.Sc., “Probing the function of LFA-1 using fluorescent proteins that target the beta-2 integrin transmembrane domain”, 157 pgs, 2011, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
2. Tulsi, N.S., M.Sc., “Synthesis of BrPmp, a phosphotyrosine analog, and its incorporation into peptides”, 113 pgs, 2011, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
1. Vishaal, R., M.Sc. (co-advised; Mathematics & Statistical Sciences), “Quantitative analysis of single particle tracking experiments: Applying ecological methods in cellular biology,” 80 pgs, 2010, University of Alberta. [OA Link]
REVIEWS & BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Drug-receptor interactions,” C.W. Cairo, J.B. Simon, D.E. Golan, in Principles of Pharmacology, 2nd Ed., D.E. Golan Ed., Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, 2007. [link]
- “Immobilized amyloid-b protein experiments using SPR technology”, C.W. Cairo and L.L. Kiessling*, 2002, Biacore Journal, 3, 4-7. [PDF]
- “Hitting the Sweet Spot”, L.L. Kiessling* and C.W. Cairo, 2002, Nat. Biotech., 20, 234-235. [PDF] [DOI]